West Ham United football club (The Hammers)

Founded: 1895
Manager: David Moyes
Address: London Stadium
Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
E20 2ST
Website: www.whufc.com

West Ham United were founded in 1895 as Thames Ironworks, with the name being changed five years later.

Following their election to the Football League in 1919, the East London outfit mostly competed in the second tier until Ted Fenton`s Hammers won promotion to the First Division in 1958.

The Hammers won the FA Cup in 1964 under Ron Greenwood and in 1975 and 1980 under John Lyall.

They also won the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1965 with two goals from Alan Sealey in the final against TSV 1860 Munich at Wembley.

Their highest league finish came in 1985-86 when they finished third in the First Division.

Three of the key names who won the World Cup with England in 1966 were West Ham youth team graduates.

They were iconic captain Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst - scorer of a hat-trick in the World Cup Final - and Martin Peters who scored England?s other goal in the Final.

The Champions statue in Barking Road, opposite The Boleyn Tavern, commemorates their fine achievement.

Other club legends include Trevor Brooking, Billy Bonds and Italian forward Paulo Di Canio.

In January 2010, lifelong supporters and successful businessmen David Sullivan and David Gold acquired a controlling share in the club.

Having played at Upton Park since 1904, it was announced in 2011 that they would be moving to the Olympic Stadium in 2016.

It was used for the London 2012 Olympic Games before being transformed in to a 60,000 capacity football stadium.

It therefore became the third biggest English club ground behind Old Trafford and Emirates Stadium.

Home ground history:

Memorial Recreation Ground, Canning Town - 1895

Upton Park - 1904

Olympic Stadium, Stratford - 2016

West Ham United all-time totals

Games won: 2135
Games drawn: 1300
Games lost: 1980
Goals for: 8127
Goals against: 7718
Average goals for: 1.50
Average goals against: 1.42

Venue: London Stadium