11v11.com is the official site of the Association of Football Statisticians.
This site is driven by a unique database of international football and the English Football League including the FIFA World Cup and FA Premier League since their inception.
11v11 is also a community hub for those interested in football history and statistics.
Where’s your footballing hero? Did he even make the top 100?
On this day in football history
- 1935 Robert Stuart, Middlesbrough left-back, scored his fifth own-goal of the season. This is believed to be a record albeit an unwanted one!
- 1938 Death of Alec Leake at the age of 66. He was centre-half with Aston Villa in the early 1900's and played for them in the 1905 Cup Final when they beat Newcastle United 2-0. He played in five internationals for England during 1904-05 and ended his playing career with Burnley in 1911.
- 1946 Bad light eventually caused the abandonement of the second leg of the Third Division North Cup tie between Stockport County and Doncaster Rovers after 3 hours and 25 minutes play. The score was 4-4. After 90 minutes of normal time and ten further minutes each way of extra time it was agreed that play would continue until the next goal was scored. However at 6.45 pm after 95 minutes of "sudden death" it was just too dark to continue.
- 1962 Jimmy Adamson, Burnley wing-half and captain, was appointed coach to the England team for the World Cup Finals in Chile. This was the only occasion that a contemporary player was given this role. Adamson was a model professional and, although uncapped himself, was widely respected throughout the game. He was also elected Footballer of the Year in 1962. Became a full-time coach at Burnley in 1964.
- 1977 For only the second time a player is sent off in a Wembley international. Gilbert Dresch of Luxembourg is sent off in his teams 5-0 defeat.
- 1984 Brazil are given a replica of the Jules Rimet trophy to replace the one that was stolen.
- 1998 A lucky escape for the Leeds United Players and Staff as they are involved in a plane crash after their match at West Ham United. One of the engines catches fire and the plane is forced into an emergency landing.