11v11.com is the official site of the Association of Football Statisticians.
This site is driven by a unique database of international football and the English Football League including the FIFA World Cup and FA Premier League since their inception.
11v11 is also a community hub for those interested in football history and statistics.
Where’s your footballing hero? Did he even make the top 100?
On this day in football history
- 1950 The 1950 World Cup Finals draw to a close. The only World Cup Tournament not to be decided by a Final, it was decided by the best record in pool matches ended with Uruguay meeting Brazil in the final pool match. Uruguay won the match and therefore the competition 2-1 with goals from Schiaffano and Ghiggia.
- 1972 The F.A announced its new penalty points disciplinary system whereby Football League players totting up 12 points would automatically be suspended for two matches.
- 1979 Malcom Allison is appointed the new manager of Manchester City.
- 1986 Scotland caused a major surprise by announcing that Andy Roxburgh would be their next manager. Favourites for the post had been Billy McNeill of Manchester City and Jim McLean of Dundee United. Roxburgh had not even managed a club side!
- 1989 Brazil beat Uruguay 1-0 in the South American Cup final at the Maracana Stadium and, in so doing, lifted their first trophy since winning the 1970 World Cup.
- 1997 Alex Ferguson appointed Roy Keane as captain of Manchester United on a trial basis. The rest, as they say, is history!