11v11.com is the official site of the Association of Football Statisticians.
This site is driven by a unique database of international football and the English Football League including the FIFA World Cup and FA Premier League since their inception.
11v11 is also a community hub for those interested in football history and statistics.
Where’s your footballing hero? Did he even make the top 100?
On this day in football history
- 1928 Jim Barrett, burly West Ham United centre half, was injured and carried off 8 minutes after the start of the England and Ireland international at Goodison Park. It was his only appearance for England. From 1924 to 1939 he played in 442 League games for the Hammers and scored 53 goals. His son, also Jim, turned out for Hammers, Nottingham Forest and Birmingham City in the 1950s.
- 1937 Liverpool signed Willie Fagan, an inside forward from Preston North End who had played in their losing Cup Final team in the previous April. His first senior club was Celtic whom he joined in 1934 and he had almost two years with them before moving to Deepdale. Remained with Liverpool until 1952 and played in another losing Cup Final team in 1950. In League football his record was 205 matches and 60 goals. In 1952 he joined Southern League club Weymouth.
- 1963 Ronnie Ashman, Norwich City full back and captain, appointed manager of the club after 18 years as a plaver. He was originally a centre forward but reverted to full back after appearing in a number of positions. He turned out in over 650 matches and in the League his record was 610 games and 55 goals. He lost his manager's job in 1965.
- 1966 Billy Ferguson, Northern Ireland winger sent off in the international with England in Belfast, the first player ever sent off in the International Tournament. For the first time also, nominated substitutes were allowed and in the second half, McPaul (Linfield) played in goal for Ireland in place of Tottenham's Pat Jennings.
- 1969 Tommy Gemmell while playing for Scotland against West Germany, became the first player from one of the British Home Nations to be sent of in a World Cup qualifying match.