+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 20 October

  1. #1

    Default 20 October 1960

    Stuart Imlach, diminutive outside left of Luton Town was transferred to
    Coventry City after only 8 matches for the club. He began his career with Bury in 1952 and moved to Derby County in May 1954. A year he later joined Nottingham Forest, winning a Cup medal in 1959 against Luton Town. He joined Luton Town for a short spell little more than a year later. He had almost two seasons with Coventry before being transferred to Crystal Palace, who then gave him a free transfer at the end of 1964-65 season. At that stage he had played in a total of 408 League games and had scored 72 goals. He signed for Chelmsford City but during the 1965-66 season Crystal Palace paid Chelmsford 1,000 for his transfer. He was appointed club coach and he played in a further 12 League games. He won four caps for Scotland during his career all in the 1957-58 season.

  2. #2

    Default 20 October 1961

    Stan Lynn, Aston Villa full back, was transferred to Birmingham City. He was the only player to appear in each of the first 20 League seasons following the Second War. His first club was Accrington Stanley and he moved to Aston Villa in March 1950. He won an FA Cup medal in 1957 and a Second Division medal in 1960. A fine penalty taker he scored 63 goals during his League career, more than any other full back in the League's history at that time,and once did scored a 'hat-trick' of penalties against Sunderland. When he moved into non-league circles in 1965 he had appeared in a total of 454 Football League games.

  3. #3

    Default 20 October 1959

    Ron Staniforth, Sheffield Wednesday full-back, was appointed player-manager of Barrow. After two seasons he retired from the playing side and remained as manager for a further four years. He had turned professional with Stockport County in 1946 and moved to Huddersfield Town during the summer of 1952 and joined Sheffield Wednesday three years after that. A classy back he played in 8 internationals between 1953 and 1955, following Alf Ramsey into the England team. He appeared in 473 League matches and scored a total of 3 goals.

  4. #4

    Default 20 October 1958

    Cliff Holton, Arsenal centre forward, was transferred to Watford. He was 6' tall and weighed almost 14 stone. He was one of the outstanding personalities of post-war soccer and although never of international class he served a number of clubs, being a prolific scorer with most. He joined Arsenal as a full back in 1947 but became a centre forward and led Arsenal's line in the 1952 Cup Final, which they lost to Newcastle United. He did, however, get a Championship medal the following season. After joining Watford he moved to Northampton Town in September 1961, to Crystal Palace in December 1962, then returned to Watford summer 1965, to Charlton Athletic November 1965 and Leyton Orient during the 1966 close season. He set goal scoring records with Watford, scoring 42 in the 1959-60 season and Northampton Town, scoring 36 in 1961-62 season. Prior to his move to Leyton Orient he had scored 275 League goals, in 542 matches and 24 goals in the F.A. Cup, plus 3 in the League Cup.

  5. #5

    Default 20 October 1984

    Arsenal became the first British club to install and use a video screen inside the ground. It wasn first used in the match against Sunderland which Arsenal won 3-2

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts