Our Premier League Performance of the Week goes to Blackburn Rovers for their New Year’s Eve win at Manchester United.
- The scene seemed perfectly set at Old Trafford for United to celebrate manager Sir Alex Ferguson’s 70th birthday as, if defeat was avoided, they would return to the top of the Premier League.
- With 11 defeats in the 18 league games in 2011-12, it also seemed like the old year would end in familiar fashion for crisis-club Rovers.
- Having amazingly led 2-0, another familiar pattern appeared to emerge as United drew level after 62 minutes.
- However, against the odds, Steve Kean’s team pulled off arguably the biggest shock win in Premier League history with youngster Grant Hanley’s first senior goal.
- According to the bookies, Rovers