Premier League goal of the week: Didier Drogba for Chelsea against Stoke
by, 14th March 2012 at 11:49 AM (1528 Views)
Our goal of the week goes to Didier Drogba for Chelsea against Stoke City
- Following the recent controversial departure of manager Andre Villas-Boas, the long-serving striker handed Chelsea a much needed victory with an expertly taken goal.
- The Stamford Bridge stalwart collected Juan Mata's through-ball 12 yards out and kept his cool to round City keeper Asmir Begovic and stroke then ball into the empty net.
- On the day before his 34th birthday, Didier became the 22nd player to score a total of 100 goals in the Premier League.
- This was Didierís 220th Premier League appearance so making him the ninth quickest player to reach the three figures. Alan Shearer is top of the list having struck his 100th goal in just his 124th game.
- He is the first player from Africa to score 100 Premier League goals and only the second non-European after Dwight Yorke.
- The Ivorian is only the fifth player to score 100 goals in the Premier League for one club. He follows Thierry Henry (Arsenal), Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes (Manchester United) and Matthew Le Tissier (Southampton).
- Earlier in the week, Didier was named World Goalgetter of the 21st Century by the International Federation of Football History & Statistics (IFFHS). He has scored 92 goals scored since 2001 in international matches and competitions to put him ahead of Germany's Miroslav Klose on 88.
Total Trackbacks 0