Premier League Performance of the Week: Yakubu
by, 6th December 2011 at 08:59 PM (9754 Views)
This week's performance of the week goes to Yakubu Aigegbeni for his four goals for Blackburn Rovers in the 4-2 win against Swansea City.
- With the the backdrop of the on-going protests against the club’s owners and management, Yakubu’s four goals earned Blackburn Rovers a crucial win against Swansea City at Ewood Park.
- The hostile atmosphere continued even after his first goal as there were audible jeers from the home crowd when the former Everton striker celebrated the opener with boss Steve Kean.
- The Rovers fans may have been more forgiving if they had known that it was the 30th time that Yakubu has scored the opening goal in a Premier League game and hasn’t been on the losing side in any of them.
- After Teddy Sheringham, Nicolas Anelka, Kevin Campbell and Les Ferdinand, Yakubu has become the fifth player to score hat-tricks in the Premier League for three clubs.
- After Dimitar Berbatov, he is the second player to score four goals or more in a game for two clubs in the Premier League.
- It was the 241st hat-trick in the Premier League. It was also the 27th time a player has scored four goals our more in a Premier League game, eight of which have been scored since the start of the 2009-10 season.
- It was the 17th Blackburn Rovers hat-trick in the Premier League but Yakubu is only the sixth player to score three or more goals in a game in the division for them.
Total Trackbacks 0